Traduction / Translation: Français
(From the Shared Experiences: Suggestions for those with Alzheimer’s disease booklet and audiotape by the Alzheimer Society of Canada. To get a copy, contact your local Alzheimer Society.)
Living one day at a time, doing the things you enjoy, and that bring meaning and fulfillment to you are just some of the ways to live with the disease.
There is currently no way to stop the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. Still, there are many things you can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Look after yourself.
- Eat properly and exercise.
- Ask your doctor what kinds of activities you can do to keep active.
- Rest when you are tired.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- Stay connected to family members and friends.
Things that were important and meaningful for you throughout your life will always be important and meaningful.
- If you enjoyed cooking, gardening, fishing or sports, continue making them a part of your everyday routine.
- You can also take pleasure in living in the moment, appreciating the small joys of life, such as seeing flowers coming into bloom, watching birds at a feeder and pushing a child in a swing. Capture these moments and enjoy them.